Ph.D. (2007), Education, University of Western Ontario
Dissertation: The Normalization of Emotion and the Disregard of Health Problems in Elite Amateur Sport: A Case Study of Elite Retired Female Rowers
M.Ed. (2000), Education (Cognition and Learning), Brock University
B.P.E. Hon (1998), Physical Education, Brock University
B.A. Hon (1992), Economics and Politics, Queen’s University
NCCP Level 2 Rowing, Coaching Association of Canada
MLF (Master Learning Facilitator) (NCCP, 2011)
- Teaching Health, Dance, and Physical Education (PJ) (EDU-340)
- Fundamentals of Dance (KPE-158)
- Fundamentals of Co-operative and Experiential Games I (KPE-160)
- Special Populations (KPE-315)
- Psychology of Sport and Exercise (KPE-345)
- Philosophy of Physical Education, Sports and Recreation (KPE-432)
- Emotions and health in sport
- Sociology of sport
- Clinical sport psychology
- Mental health and burnout in youth sport
- Health and female athletes
- Teaching and learning in Physical Education
- Emotion education for Physical Education curriculum
- Emotion education for NCCP coaching programs/Long Term Athlete Development Plan (LTAD)
Publications in Peer Reviewed Journals
Lee Sinden, J. (2014). The structure and direction of emotion in elite sport: Deconstructing unhealthy paradigms and distorted norms for the body. Journal of Religion and Health, 53(4), 1112-1122.
Lee, Sinden, J. (2014). Gymnastics. In John Byl and Bettie Kloet. (Eds.) Physical Education for small groups. Champaign: Human Kinetics.
Lee Sinden, J. (2013). The sociology of emotion in elite sport: Examining the role of normalization and technologies. International Review for the Sociology of Sport, 48(5).
Lee Sinden, J. (2013). Health problems in elite rowing: Using interviews to expose female rowers’ lived experiences. Journal of Sport and Health Research, 5(1), 5-42.
Lee Sinden, J. (2013). The elite sport and Christianity debate: Shifting focus from normative values to the conscious disregard for health. Journal of Religion and Health, 52(1), 335-349.
Lee Sinden, J. (2012). Emotion education in sport: Moving from misconceptions, suppression, and health problems toward awareness, acceptance, and improved overall performance and well-being. Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology, 34 (Supplement issue for the proceedings of the NASPSPA conference).
Lee Sinden, J. (2010). The normalization of emotion and the disregard of health problems in elite amateur sport. Journal of Clinical Sport Psychology, 4, 241-256.
Lee, Sinden J. (2005). A review of the navigation of feeling. William M. Reddy. 2001. Cambridge: University Press. Canadian Social Science Journal, 39(2).
Lee, J. (2002). Emotions as a site of hegemony: Examining the motives underlying elite amateur athletes’ consent of emotional control in sport. Canadian Association for the study of Women and Education (CASWE) International Institute Conference Proceedings. Toronto, Ontario.
Paper Presentations at Academic Conferences
Sinden, J (June 2021). Mental and Physical Health Problems in Sport: Taking a deeper look at the Role of Negative Emotion Norms and Inordinate Affections. International Conference of Sport and Society: Sport and Society in Crisis. Spain
Sinden, J (July, 2017). The Normalization of emotion and health in elite sport: Under standing the relationship and implementing change. International Conference of Sport and Society. London UK.
Lee Sinden, J. (2013, May). Reducing the stigma of the “emotional” athlete: Toward improved mental health in youth sport. Invited speaker at the Youth Mental Health Conference. Mental Health Commission of Canada.
Lee Sinden, J. (2012, June). Emotion education in sport: Moving beyond control, suppression, and health problems. North American Society for Psychology of Sport and Physical Activity (NASPSPA). Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii.
Lee Sinden, J. (2011, November). Athletes’ disregard for health: A need for a more comprehensive emotion education plan. Invited Presenter at the Coaching Assocation of Canada (CAC)/Petro Canada Sport Leadership Conference. Toronto, Ontario.
Lee Sinden, J. (2008, May). Emotional health in sport: Addressing the issues of athletes rights. Olympic Reform Conference. University of Toronto.
Lee-Sinden, J. (2007, May). The normalization and technology of emotion in elite amateur rowing: Implications for youth sport. Children, sport, and physical activity: Philosophical dimensions. University of Western Ontario.
Lee, Sinden J. (2006, May). Finding EMO: The normalization of emotion amongst Adolescents. International & Interdisciplinary Conference on Emotional Geographies. Queen’s University.
Lee Sinden, J. (2005, May). Results of data analysis from doctoral research. Canadian Association for the Study of Women and Education (CASWE) International Institute Conference. University of Western Ontario.
Service and Community Involvement
Bible Study Leader/Teacher/Speaker
2006-2007 Internal Research Grant, $2,000, Redeemer University College.
2006 Teaching Award Nomination. I/S Physical Education, Faculty of Education, Western University.
2006 Women in Sport and Education (WISE) Scholarship nomination, (CAAWS).
2002 Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) $17,000.
2002 Ontario Academic Achievement award (OAA) for being a varsity rower and achieving over 80% average.
2000 Presidents Scholarship Graduate Studies (PSGS) Entrance scholarship, Western University. $18,000.
2000 Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) $12,000, and OAA
2000 Presidents Award. Academic/athletic bursary. Brock University. $200.
2000 Academic All Canadian. Royal Bank of Canada award for excellence in athletics and academics.
1999 Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) $12,000, and OAA
1998 Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) $12,000, and OAA
1998 Student-Athlete of the Year award. First recipient of this award, for excellence in athletics/academics.
1994-1996 OAA (Ontario Athletic Association) Award
2006 Women in Sport and Education (WISE) Scholarship nomination, CAAWS.
2004 OUA (Ontario University Association) Varsity Women’s Rowing Coach of the Year
1993-2003 7 Time International Champion (Gold), Rowing, Henley Regatta, St. Catharines.
1993-2002 8 Time Ontario Academic/Athletic Achievement award. Ontario University Association (OUA)
1990-2001 10 Time Ontario University Association (OUA) Champion, Rowing.
2000 Bronze at the I-Lan International Collegiate Invitational, I-Lan Taiwan.
2000 All Academic/Athletic Canadian, Royal Bank of Canada.
1998-1999 St. Catharines Oarswomen of the Year.
1998/99 Member of the Canadian National Rowing Team. Lightweight Women’s Quad
1998 3 Time Gold medalist. Pre Pan Am Games, Winnipeg, Lightweight women single, double, quad.
1998 2 Time Silver medalist. US Nationals, Indianapolis, Lightweight women’s double, quad.
1997 Student/Athlete of the Year, Brock University, for Excellence in both Athletics and Academics.
1994-1996 3 Time National Champion (Gold), Canada Cup, Montreal, Rowing.
1996 Most Valuable Player Award (MVP), Brock University Rowing.
1994-1995 Female Athlete of the Year, Brock University
1995 Most Valuable Player Award (MVP), Brock University Rowing.
1994 Most Valuable Player Award (MVP), Brock University Rowing
1989-1991 Intercollegiate Athletics Award, Queen’s University, Rowing
1988-1991 Intramural Participation Award, Queen’s University.
1990 OUA Champion, rowing, Queen’s University.
- 2014-2015 Sport Psychologist, Junior Gymnast, Hamilton, Ontario.
- 2008 Youth Soccer Coach, Thames Centre Minor Soccer Association.
- 2006-2007 Sport Psychologist, Junior National Team Gymnast, London, Ontario.
- 2003-2006 Intermediate/Senior Physical Education Instructor, Faculty of Education, University of Western Ontario
- 2003-2005 Varsity women’s rowing coach. University of Western Ontario
- 2003-2005 Emotion/Life Councellor and Personal Trainer, Mademoiselle Fitness Club, London, Ontario.
- 2002-2006 Honours Specialist Physical Education Instructor, Faculty of Education, University of Western Ontario
- 2000-2002 Research assistant for Rural Education initiative, Faculty of Education, University of Western Ontario
- 1998 Research Assistant for Children’s Literacy program, Faculty of Education, Brock University
- 1996 Movement Education Workshop Instructor, for Teachers in physical Education, Brock University
- 1992-1998 Personal Fitness Trainer, Personal Business, “Into Fitness”.
- 1992-1998 Personal Fitness Trainer/Nutritional Consultant, Fitness Alive, St. Catharines Ontario.
- 1996-1997 Volunteer teacher, Gracefield P. S. St. Catharines, Physical Education.
- 1996-1998 Swimming Instructor/Lifeguard, Jordan Lions Pool, Jordan Ontario.
- 1996 Instructor (Positive Active Living for Kids, P.A.L.S). Brock University.
- 1996 Program Planner/Fitness Instructor, White Oaks Racquet Club, Niagara Falls.
- 1994-1996 Special Needs Instructor, Sport-By-Ability-Niagara.
- 1994-1995 Sport School Instructor, Brock University.
- 1992-1994 Athletic Director/Personal Trainer, YMCA, St. Catharines, Ontario.
- 1986-1987 Camp Director, Lumina Resort, Lake of Bays, Huntsville Ontario.