Canadian Citizens: Government Assistance

Students enrolled in degree programs at Redeemer may be eligible, if qualified, for government assistance under the Canada Student Loans Program and/or provincial student loan programs. Information on the availability of financial assistance can be found through the appropriate government ministry of the student’s province of residence.

OSAP fact sheet

OSAP upload instructions

U.S. Citizens: Federal Student Aid

William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program

Redeemer University is an approved Title IV institution, which allows eligible US students to access the Federal Direct Student Loan Program.  However, since Redeemer is considered a foreign school by the U.S. Department of Education, students are not eligible for Pell Grants or Perkins Loans.

American students are eligible to apply for Direct subsidized and Direct unsubsidized loans, as well as Parent and Graduate PLUS loans, as part of the Federal Direct Student Loan Program (hereafter referred to as Direct Loans).

Student Eligibility

To be eligible for a Direct Loan you must:

  • Be a US citizen, national, US permanent resident, or an eligible non-citizen as defined by the US Department of Education
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress
  • Have a valid Social Security Number
  • Comply with the US Selective Service System registration requirements
  • Have completed a high school diploma or equivalent

Program Eligibility

You must be registered at least half-time (i.e. 7.5 credit hours per semester) in an eligible program.  Redeemer offers a variety of programs approved for Direct Loan funding. You can speak with an Admissions Counselor about your program options.  The following Redeemer undergraduate degree programs are not eligible for Direct Loan funding:

  • Bachelor of Arts/Science co-operative education programs:
    • Kinesiology
    • Urban & Intercultural Ministry
  • Bachelor of Arts degree majoring in:
    • Honours Applied Social Sciences: Social Work stream
    • Applied Social Sciences (general major)
    • Honours Media & Communications: Digital Media and Production stream
    • Honours Urban & Intercultural Ministry
    • Youth Ministry (general major)
  • Bachelor of Science degree majoring in:
    • Honours Environmental Science
  • Minors:
    • Criminal Justice
    • Disability Studies
    • Social Justice
  • Study abroad or student exchange programs
  • Online programs and courses

Students registered in an ineligible program may consider applying for a private loan.

Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans

How much can I borrow?

Your Direct Loan value will vary based on the information from your Student Aid Report (SAR) and your grade level.  See chart below.

Additional amounts may be borrowed each year above the Stafford amounts through the Parent PLUS Loan Program OR private, credit-based loans.  The maximum amount you may borrow is established by Redeemer based on the Cost of Attendance (COA).

Maxiumum Subsidized Additional Unsubsidized Combined Levels (Annual Maximums)
Dependent Undergraduates
1st Year $3,500 $2,000 $5,500
2nd Year $4,500 $2,000 $6,500
3rd Year and higher $5,500 $2,000 $7,500
Independent Undergraduates
1st Year $3,500 $6,000 $9,500
2nd Year $4,500 $6,000 $10,500
3rd Year and higher $5,500 $7,000 $12,500

See the Federal Student Aid website for more info on PLUS loans.  Parent(s) of eligible dependent children studying at the undergraduate level can apply for PLUS loans.  The maximum PLUS loan amount that can be borrowed is Redeemer’s calculation of your COA minus any other financial aid (including subsidized and unsubsidized loans).  For questions and instructions on how to apply for a PLUS loan, contact the Financial Aid Office (


Visit to find out more about current interest rates and fees for subsidized/unsubsidized and PLUS loans.

Application Process

The application process is similar to applying for aid at a US based institution; however, there are some key differences when studying in Canada that require your attention.  Apply for your loan at least 6 weeks prior to the start of the semester to ensure funding will arrive by the first week of classes.

STEP 1:  Completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  Complete the FAFSA online at  The school code for Redeemer is: G33485.

STEP 2:  Redeemer’s Financial Aid Office will determine your eligibility for funding through the Direct Loan program.  Students will be notified of their eligibility for Direct Loan funding via email.

STEP 3:  Students must complete the following items at before loan funding will be issued:   

  1.  Direct Loan Entrance Counselling
  2.  Master Promissory Notes (MPN)


Repayment of Direct subsidized and unsubsidized loans begins six months after a student graduates, withdraws or drops to part-time status (less than half-time).  You must repay a student loan even if your financial circumstances change or become difficult. Payments are arranged through your loan servicer. You are responsible for staying in touch with your servicer and making your payments, even if you do not receive a bill.  More info about the repayment of Federal Direct Loans can be found at:


Satisfactory Academic Progress – Required to maintain US loan funding
Return of Title IV funding (R2T4) – Returning Direct Loan funding for students that withdraw
Exit Counseling: Required when you graduate, withdraw or drop to part-time status (less than half-time).

Additional Information

  • Consumer Information is a comprehensive list of websites about U.S. financial aid and Redeemer University.
  • Students can request a letter detailing any institutional or government financial aid awarded/certified for their study permit application by emailing their name, student number and request to  Information on study permit/student visa is available from the Government of Canada website.
  • Students are responsible to fund any shortfall due to exchange rate conversion. The exchange rate is the one used by Redeemer University on the date of each transaction to or from U.S. currency.


Veteran Affairs Post-9/11 GI Bill Benefits

Redeemer University is a Veteran Affairs-approved institution to process program reviews and certify registered students to receive Post-9/11 GI Bill Benefits. Students must request certification for each academic year that they want to receive Veterans Affairs benefits.


Send an e-mail request with the following: full name, student number and request to be certified for Veteran Affairs benefits to:  The Financial Aid Office will coordinate with the applicant to ensure all required documentation is submitted for processing.